Testing Ground: An Introduction to Architecture for Year 12 Students
During the summer term 2017 Kielder Art & Architecture and Newcastle University's School of Architecture are running an intensive 'design and make' workshop programme to provide students who are considering studying architecture at any architecture school with hands-on experience of contemporary architectural practice.
The workshops will take place at Kielder Water & Forest Park in Northumberland and Newcastle University and will be supported by staff and students from Newcastle University School of Architecture and Kielder Art & Architecture programme.
During the three day programme students will:
- Explore Kielder's landscape and the art and architectural works installed there
- Be introduced to design brief by the project team
- Work with the team in the university to develop concept proposals and refine ideas
- Create an architectural installation at a site within Kielder forest
- Document and evaluate their work
Free transport will be provided from Newcastle Central Station to Kielder and back on the first and third days. Students will make their own way in the university’s architecture school on the second. Each student will be responsible for arranging travel between their home and Central Station/university, providing their own lunch and ensuring that they bring appropriate clothing. Further details will be provided on application.
Participation in the workshop programme is completely free and open to Year 12 students.
N.B. A maximum of 13 places are available and you must be able to commit to attending every day of the programme – Tues 27th, Weds 28th, and Thurs 29th June 2017.
What you should do now:
To be considered for this opportunity email the following information to Peter Sharpe, Kielder Curator, at the contact address below.
· Current school or college
· A short text (no more than 100 words) explaining why you would like to be considered for this opportunity
Closing date: Weds 19th May 2017.
Selected students will be notified via email by Friday 24th May
See also: www.kielderartandarchitecture.com
Testing Ground has been developed as a collaboration with Newcastle University